A Great Assistant will become a great leader:
Having the role of a leader sounds proud and interesting.
Just because the leader may be paid a high salary or have more freedom of choice.
Leadership is like accomplishing a Mount Everest trek. It’s so interesting to see someone that summited Mount Everest and live to tell about it.
But to stand at the top and overlook the achievement held by a handful of daring trekkers , Where he or she needs to hike all the way, going through all the intensity of the bitter cold, increasing altitude, and acclimating to thinner air pressure.
Everyone can’t hike Everest Mountain because they need a certain level of fitness, strength, and stamina.
So, being a great assistant means first working on your fitness, strength, and stamina.
- Fitness: Physical and mental needs to be healthy, strong, and capable of handling the pressures. How do you know your body is fit? When your body can bear the pressure. How do you know your mind is fit? When your mind can handle the pressure with ease.
- Strength: Being patient, resilient, persistent, consistent, adaptable, accountable, responsible Etc.
- Stamina: pushing the limits, being courageous to take on new tasks, and being keen to accomplish them, 100% commitment and involvement, Conscious communication with colleagues, and becoming a leader to your own self.
When everything unfolds, the flower does not need to struggle to spread its fragrance or hide the fragrance.
Leadership is the outcome. The fragrance of a flower.
The fragrance reflects the profoundness of flowers. The flower is completed in the amateur state.
Being an assistant means in-depth preparation to be the leader.
There is a saying: ‘Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe’(Abraham Lincoln).
Being an assistant means you are sharpening and shaping yourself for the bigger challenges and profound manifestations.
The Art of being an Assistant:
First, you need to understand that an assistant is not someone lower than the manager or leader.
Assistant means becoming a great supporter of workflow. Become a good hand to a leader.
Let’s compare being a leader to our body, the brain commands everything. But without hands, the brain can’t do anything.
Brain’s command and hand function should be in alignment. The Leader and assistant should be aligned like the brain and hands.
When there is great assistance, it saves the leader time, when the leader’s time is saved, the leader can focus on next-level projects and expansion. So, an assistant must have awareness of his or her actions and how they affect the big picture.
The profound responsibility of the assistant is to give a smooth experience to the leader. While thriving to give a smooth experience to the leader, the assistant will start to learn every detail of the workflow. That detailing sense will grow the leadership in assistance.
The assistant should have a clear view of the task assignments. Double-check with the leader and put in the effort to finish everything profoundly in time.
When you are assisting, remember you are not just working for someone, but you are practicing and learning the details of skills, methods, creations, innovation, and management. It means you are educating yourself through your assistance.
When you become profoundly skillful in handling things smoothly, that’s your ripe time. You will unfold to the fullest just like the fragrance of a flower. when you become like a fragrance of flowers in your profound skills, you are unstoppable. That’s when the leadership role will come to you effortlessly.
Only your profoundness and integrity make you a leader, not your desire or wants.
The reminder to the role of an Assistant:
When you don’t have experience or detailed sense related to particular work, of course, you will make many mistakes.
Mistakes are stepping stones to profoundness. So, learn from the mistake and never do the same mistake again. That is the way to grow.
- If you do it one time, it’s a mistake.
- If you do it 2 times it’s a bad mistake.
- If you do it more than 3 times is stupidity.
- If you do it more than 5 times you are not ready to be the best version of yourself. You are not practicing any integrity. You are just living your life little more than an animal and with less than righteousness. You are somewhere in between animal life and the excellency of the life of humans. Which is survival life.
When you don’t need to make the same mistake again you are growing rapidly.
When you make the same mistake again and again in different formats it means you are growing so slow. Also, you can’t give a smooth experience to your leader.
The quality of your actions determines your result.
When action is poor you will end up working extra time and become restless.
So how can you prevent making the mistake a second time?
- First, acknowledge your mistake and never cover it up. (Once you are covered up or not able to see your mistake in detail you are no longer in the process of growth).
- Recall your mistakes and examine all your actions. Usually, the human brain and mind work based on habit. There is some habit that led you to this mistake and check the root cause of the habit, how come this habit becomes a condition with you.
- Most of your mistakes are generated from your unconscious habits, which means you don’t have control over your habits. So, create a mental exercise to master your habit, have a mentor or coach, and reflect with the mentor from time to time to reflect on your progress. Your leader can be your mentor too because if someone is profound in Leadership they must go through all phases where you are now.
- Create a filter that will prevent you from distraction, like unnecessary notifications, and reply to casual messages immediately. Switching randomly from here to there and there to here. It’s a lot of time-sucking and energy draining bringing you to unconscious behaviours. You don’t know how much time it kills and keeps rushing. When you are in a rush you will do more stupid mistakes.
- Don’t do work in a rush, have a detailed preparation. Keep all tools and necessary resources with you. Write down every detail and step related to your work. It helps to finish work on time. So, always tune into time, and don’t lose in the workflow. Time is everything. When you can make friends with time you will finish everything on time.
- Take support from the internet. If a certain task is given to you and you don’t know how to do detailed-on work on the task, search on the internet. There are tons of skillful management leaders who write tons of blog posts about everything related to life and work. Check the details related to your task on the internet. Whatever knowledge you learn from the internet, put it into your workflow and arrangements. The Internet is a powerful resource. Use it to the fullest. Remember you are not alone; knowledge is everywhere and it’s available at your fingertips.
- Listen to the leader clearly, be keen in asking for details and express what kind of support you need to finish work smoothly. Being confident in asking for details will help you to not do double work. By asking everything in keen detail you are respecting your time.
- Report every detail of accomplishments and pending with the leader. Always maintaining keen communication with the leader will help get support for your work, and also it will build trust between you and the leader. So, reporting on time and discussing every detail of outcomes with the leader is essential to be a great assistant. Sometimes you have a habit or a pattern where you forget the report or update. That is just because of your multi-tasking or you are in a rush. Those times you must write down the discussion points to report on the note when you write all the reporting and updating points on the note you never miss. Just like how the excel sheet in the computer, manages your accountings. Like that your note helps to not miss anything at any cost.
A great assistant never misses anything at any cost.
If you can’t walk then how can you run?
There is no necessity to desire being a leader, the flower never desires to have the fragrance.
Once you are a great assistant, your leadership door will open and you will become effortless in your leadership. No matter how much pressure and risk, nothing will shake you because you are a great assistant.